Bicknell's Geranium - Geranium bicknellii
MNPS Threat Rank
Annual or biennial. Stems erect, branched, 10–40 cm. Herbage sparsely hirsute, glandular in the inflorescence. Leaf blades 2–6 cm wide, 5- or 7-lobed; each lobe shallowly lobed. Flowers: sepals 4–7 mm long, lanceolate, bristle-tipped; petals 5–9 mm long, pink (white); fertile stamens 10. Capsule 15–25 mm long including the style column (Lesica 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX)
Taproot slender, leaves cleft nearly (but not completely) to the base; pedicels glandular villous, more than twice as long as the calyx at maturity, sepals with 2-4 mm long subulate tips, petals relatively small, anthers 1 mm or less, stylar beak of fruit 3-5 mm long.
AK to NL south to CA, UT, CO, SD, IN and MA (Lesica 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX).
Observations in Montana Natural Heritage Program Database
Number of Observations:
(Click on the following maps and charts to see full sized version)
Map Help and Descriptions
(Observations spanning multiple months or years are excluded from time charts)
Coniferous forest and (uncommonly) disturbed soil of streambanks, roadsides, often abundant for 2 to 4 years following fire; valleys, montane (Lesica 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX)
- Additional ReferencesLegend: View Online Publication
Do you know of a citation we're missing?
- Alexander, E.J. 1933. Geranium bicknellii. Addisonia 18 (4):57-58. A33ALE01PAUS.
- Britton, N. L. and A. B. Brown. 1913. An Illustrated Flora of the Northern United States, Canada, and the British Possessions. 2nd Edition in 3 Volumes. New York, NY: Charles Scribner's Sons. B13BRI01PAUS.
- Fernald, M. L. 1950. Gray's manual of botany. Eighth edition. A handbook of the flowering plants and ferns of the central and northeastern United States and Adjacent Canada. American Book Co., New York.
- Gleason, H. A., and A. Cronquist. 1991. Manual of vascular plants of northeastern United States and adjacent Canada. New York Botanical Garden, Bronx, NY. 910 pp.
- Gleason, H.A. 1952. New Britton & Brown. Illustrated Flora. Lancaster Press Inc. Lancaster, Pa. B52GLE01PAUS
- Lesica, P., M. T. Lavin, and P. F. Stickney. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. Fort Worth, TX: BRIT Press. viii + 771 p.