Idaho Gumweed - Grindelia nana
Grindelia hirsutula [in part]
Perennial branched from the caudex. Stems erect, branched above, 10–40 cm. Herbage glabrate, glandular-punctate. Leaf blades oblanceolate, 1–6 cm long, mostly entire; basal sometimes present at flowering. Involucres 7–10 mm high. Rays 12 to 25; ligules 4–10 mm long. Disk corollas 4–5 mm long. Achenes 4–6 mm long, top margin knobby; pappus awns 2 or 3 (Lesica et al. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX
Throughout most of temperate North America (Lesica et al. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX).
Observations in Montana Natural Heritage Program Database
Number of Observations:
(Click on the following maps and charts to see full sized version)
Map Help and Descriptions
(Observations spanning multiple months or years are excluded from time charts)
The following animal species have been reported as pollinators of this plant species or its genus where their geographic ranges overlap: Bombus bifarius
, Bombus fervidus
, Bombus flavifrons
, Bombus rufocinctus
, Bombus sylvicola
, and Bombus occidentalis
(Thorp et al. 1983, Williams et al. 2014).
- Literature Cited AboveLegend: View Online Publication
- Lesica, P., M.T. Lavin, and P.F. Stickney. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. Fort Worth, TX: BRIT Press. viii + 771 p.
- Thorp, R.W., D.S. Horning, and L.L. Dunning. 1983. Bumble bees and cuckoo bumble bees of California (Hymenoptera: Apidae). Bulletin of the California Insect Survey 23:1-79.
- Williams, P., R. Thorp, L. Richardson, and S. Colla. 2014. Bumble Bees of North America. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press. 208 p.
- Additional ReferencesLegend: View Online Publication
Do you know of a citation we're missing?
- Bartoli, Adriana, and Roberto D. Tortosa. 2012. "Revision of the North American Species of Grindelia (Asteraceae) 1". Annals of the Missouri Botanical Garden. 98 (4): 447-513.
- Lesica, P., M.T. Lavin, and P.F. Stickney. 2022. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants, Second Edition. Fort Worth, TX: BRIT Press. viii + 779 p.