Geyer's Larkspur - Delphinium geyeri
Geyer's Larkspur is a perennial 30-60 cm tall arising from deep, branched, fibrous roots. Leaves are basal and cauline, with dense, minute pubsecence, and palmately divided with more rounded, wider lobes on basal leaves than stem leaves. Sepals are bright blue and flared, with spurs that are straight to slighty down-curved. Upper petals are whitish with blue tips, lacking prominent blue-purple lines.
Distinguished from Delphinium bicolor by the presence of dense, minute pubscence; also distinguished from D. bicolor subsp. calcicola by the cleft in the low petal 2 mm or less.
Observations in Montana Natural Heritage Program Database
Number of Observations:
(Click on the following maps and charts to see full sized version)
Map Help and Descriptions
(Observations spanning multiple months or years are excluded from time charts)
Open slopes and thickets at lower elevations.
- Additional ReferencesLegend: View Online Publication
Do you know of a citation we're missing?
- Ewan, J. 1945. A synopsis of the North American species of Delphinium. University of Colorado Studies 2(2):55-242.
- Lesica, P. and P.L. Achuff. 1992. Distribution of vascular plant species of special concern and limited distribution in the Pryor Mountain desert, Carbon County, Montana. Unpublished report to the Bureau of Land Management. Montana Natural Heritage Program, Helena, MT. 105 pp.
- Lesica, P., M.T. Lavin, and P.F. Stickney. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. Fort Worth, TX: BRIT Press. viii + 771 p.
- Quire, R.L. 2013. The sagebrush steppe of Montana and southeastern Idaho shows evidence of high native plant diversity, stability, and resistance to the detrimental effects of nonnative plant species. M.Sc. Thesis. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 124 p.
- Sawyer, P.T. 1967. Biosystematic studies of species of delphinium occurring in Montana. M.Sc. Thesis. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 56 p.
- Sawyer, P.T. 1970. Systematic studies of non-fistulose delphinium taxa common to Montana. Ph.D. Dissertation. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 84 p.
- Taylor, R.J. 1960. The genus Delphinium in Wyoming. University of Wyoming publications 24:9-21.