Beautiful Fleabane - Erigeron formosissimus
State Rank Reason (see State Rank above)
Species has been documented for southern Montana from a few collections. Additional data are needed for this species to more precisely determine its conservation status and need.
Fibrous-rooted perennial from a short rhizome. Stems ascending, 10–40 cm. Herbage glabrate to sparsely villous-hirsute, glandular above. Leaves basal and cauline; blades oblanceolate to oblong, 2–8 cm long, entire, sessile, lanceolate above. Heads 1 or few, radiate. Involucres hemispheric, 5–8 mm high; phyllaries in 2 to 3 series, minutely stipitate-glandular. Rays 75 to 150, pink to purple; ligules 8–15 mm long. Disk corollas 3–5 mm long. Achenes ca. 2 mm long (Lesica 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX)
Carbon County, MT; SD south to AZ and NM (Lesica 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX).
Observations in Montana Natural Heritage Program Database
Number of Observations:
(Click on the following maps and charts to see full sized version)
Map Help and Descriptions
(Observations spanning multiple months or years are excluded from time charts)
Meadows and forest openings in the montane and subalpine zones.
- Additional ReferencesLegend: View Online Publication
Do you know of a citation we're missing?
- Joslin, G.J. 1975. Behavior and environmental selection by Elk (Cervus canadensis nelsoni) during surrmer and fall in the First and Second Yellow Mule drainages, Madison County, Montana. M.Sc. Thesis. Bozeman, Montana: Montana State University, Bozeman. 65 p.
- Lesica, P., M.T. Lavin, and P.F. Stickney. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. Fort Worth, TX: BRIT Press. viii + 771 p.
- Saunders, J.K., Jr. 1954. A two-year investigation of the food habits and range use of the Rocky Mountain goat in the Crazy Mountains, Montana. M.Sc. Thesis. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 22 p.
- Wiman, N.G. 2001. Dynamics of leafy spurge (Euphorbia esula L.) infested plant communities influenced by flea beetles in the Aphthona complex (Colepotera: Chrysomelidae). M.Sc. Thesis. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 148 p.