Broad-leaf Peavine - Lathyrus latifolius
Perrenial Pea, Everlasting Pea, Broad-leaved Everlasting Pea
Rhizomatous. Stems winged, climbing, 60–100 cm. Leaves with 2 lance-elliptic leaflets 1–14 cm long; rachis prolonged into a tendril; stipules ovate, 3–5 cm long. Flowers pinkish; calyx tube 2–4 mm long; sepals unequal, longer than the tube; banner 18–25 mm. Legume 6–10 cm long (Lesica et al. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX
Lake and Sanders counties. Introduced as an ornamental, escaped throughout U.S.; native to Europe (Lesica et al. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX).
Observations in Montana Natural Heritage Program Database
Number of Observations:
(Click on the following maps and charts to see full sized version)
Map Help and Descriptions
(Observations spanning multiple months or years are excluded from time charts)
The following animal species have been reported as pollinators of this plant species or its genus where their geographic ranges overlap: Bombus appositus
, Bombus fervidus
, Bombus flavifrons
, Bombus sitkensis
, and Bombus occidentalis
(Thorp et al. 1983, Colla and Dumesh 2010, Koch et al. 2012).
- Literature Cited AboveLegend: View Online Publication
- Colla, S.R. and S. Dumesh. 2010. The bumble bees of southern Ontario: notes on natural history and distribution. Journal of the Entomological Society of Ontario 141:39-68.
- Koch, J., J. Strange, and P. Williams. 2012. Bumble bees of the western United States. Washington, DC: USDA Forest Service, Pollinator Partnership. 143 p.
- Lesica, P., M.T. Lavin, and P.F. Stickney. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. Fort Worth, TX: BRIT Press. viii + 771 p.
- Thorp, R.W., D.S. Horning, and L.L. Dunning. 1983. Bumble bees and cuckoo bumble bees of California (Hymenoptera: Apidae). Bulletin of the California Insect Survey 23:1-79.
- Additional ReferencesLegend: View Online Publication
Do you know of a citation we're missing?
- Lesica, P., M.T. Lavin, and P.F. Stickney. 2022. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants, Second Edition. Fort Worth, TX: BRIT Press. viii + 779 p.