Baldhip Rose - Rosa gymnocarpa
MNPS Threat Rank
Stems lax, 30–100 cm, usually sparsely and finely prickly; nodal prickles similar. Leaves with 5 to 9, elliptic leaflets, glabrous, glandular-dentate, 5–30 mm long; the rachis sparsely stipitate glandular. Flowers usually solitary on glandular pedicles; hypanthium glabrous, 3–4 mm long; sepals 5–10 mm long, deciduous; petals 7–12 mm long. Hip elliptic, 8–12 mm long, red (Lesica 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX)
BC, MT south to CA, OR and ID (Lesica 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX).
Observations in Montana Natural Heritage Program Database
Number of Observations:
(Click on the following maps and charts to see full sized version)
Map Help and Descriptions
(Observations spanning multiple months or years are excluded from time charts)
The following animal species have been reported as pollinators of this species or genera where their geographic ranges overlap: Bombus centralis
, Bombus fervidus
, Bombus huntii
, Bombus mixtus
, Bombus rufocinctus
, Bombus ternarius
, Bombus terricola
, Bombus sitkensis
, Bombus occidentalis
, Bombus bimaculatus
, Bombus griseocollis
, and Bombus impatiens
(Plath 1934, Thorp et al. 1983, Mayer et al. 2000, Wilson et al. 2010, Colla et al. 2011, Koch et al. 2012, Williams et al. 2014).
- Literature Cited AboveLegend: View Online Publication
- Colla, S., L. Richardson, and P. Williams. 2011. Bumble bees of the eastern United States. Washington, DC: USDA Forest Service, Pollinator Partnership. 103 p.
- Koch, J., J. Strange, and P. Williams. 2012. Bumble bees of the western United States. Washington, DC: USDA Forest Service, Pollinator Partnership. 143 p.
- Mayer, D.F., E.R. Miliczky, B.F. Finnigan, and C.A. Johnson. 2000. The bee fauna (Hymenoptera: Apoidea) of southeastern Washington. Journal of the Entomological Society of British Columbia 97: 25-31.
- Plath, O.E. 1934. Bumblebees and their ways. New York, NY: Macmillan Company. 201 p.
- Thorp, R.W., D.S. Horning, and L.L. Dunning. 1983. Bumble bees and cuckoo bumble bees of California (Hymenoptera: Apidae). Bulletin of the California Insect Survey 23:1-79.
- Williams, P., R. Thorp, L. Richardson, and S. Colla. 2014. Bumble Bees of North America. Princeton, NJ. Princeton University Press.
- Wilson, J.S., L.E. Wilson, L.D. Loftis, and T. Griswold. 2010. The montane bee fauna of north central Washington, USA, with floral associations. Western North American Naturalist 70(2): 198-207.
- Additional ReferencesLegend: View Online Publication
Do you know of a citation we're missing?
- Lesica, P., M.T. Lavin, and P.F. Stickney. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. Fort Worth, TX: BRIT Press. viii + 771 p.