Bushy Cinquefoil - Potentilla paradoxa
MNPS Threat Rank
Taprooted, annual, biennial or short-lived perennial. Stems ascending to prostrate, sparsely hirsute, 10–30 cm. Leaf blades oblong, glabrate to hirsute, pinnately divided into 5 to 9 narrowly obovate, dentate to pinnately lobed leaflets, 1–2 cm long. Inflorescence a leafy, compact, villous cyme. Flowers: sepals deltoid, 3–4 mm long; bracteoles nearly as long and wide; petals yellow, 1–3 mm long, retuse. Achenes shallowly wrinkled,<1 mm long with a lateral wedge-shaped wing (Lesica 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX)
Herbs, plants without true tomentum, leaves alternate with 7-11 leaflets, petals yellow, flowers cymose, style terminal, achene with a corkey protuberance on the inner side.
Throughout much of temperate North America (Lesica 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX).
Observations in Montana Natural Heritage Program Database
Number of Observations:
(Click on the following maps and charts to see full sized version)
Map Help and Descriptions
(Observations spanning multiple months or years are excluded from time charts)
Wet or vernally wet soil along margins of lakes, ponds, rivers; plains, valleys, montane (Lesica 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX)
- Additional ReferencesLegend: View Online Publication
Do you know of a citation we're missing?
- Britton, N. L. and A. B. Brown. 1913. An Illustrated Flora of the Northern United States, Canada, and the British Possessions. 2nd Edition in 3 Volumes. New York, NY: Charles Scribner's Sons. B13BRI01PAUS.
- Fernald, M. L. 1950. Gray's manual of botany. Eighth edition. A handbook of the flowering plants and ferns of the central and northeastern United States and Adjacent Canada. American Book Co., New York.
- Gleason, H. A., and A. Cronquist. 1991. Manual of vascular plants of northeastern United States and adjacent Canada. New York Botanical Garden, Bronx, NY. 910 pp.
- Lesica, P., M. T. Lavin, and P. F. Stickney. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. Fort Worth, TX: BRIT Press. viii + 771 p.
- McCance, R.M., Jr., and J.F. Burns, eds. 1984. Ohio endangered and threatened vascular plants: Abstracts of state-listed taxa. Division Natural Areas and Preserves, Ohio Dept. Natural Resources, Columbus. 635 pp.