Fleshy Hawthorn - Crataegus macracantha
Crataegus succulenta [in part], Crataegus phippsii
MNPS Threat Rank
Shrub 2–6 m. Stems purplish-brown, becoming gray; thorns 3–5 cm long, curved. Leaf blades ovate, 2–5 cm long, serrate, mostly unlobed, sparsely hairy above, glabrous beneath. Inflorescence 10- to 15-flowered, villous. Flowers: hypanthium villous; sepals 3–4 mm long, glandular-dentate; petals 6–8 mm long; stamens 10; styles 2 to 4. Pome 7–10 mm wide, red, pubescent (Lesica 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX)
BC to QC, south to OR, AZ and NM (Lesica 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX).
Observations in Montana Natural Heritage Program Database
Number of Observations:
(Click on the following maps and charts to see full sized version)
Map Help and Descriptions
(Observations spanning multiple months or years are excluded from time charts)
The following animal species have been reported as pollinators of this plant species or its genus where their geographic ranges overlap: Bombus vagans
, Bombus auricomus
, Bombus melanopygus
, Bombus mixtus
, Bombus nevadensis
, Bombus pensylvanicus
, Bombus bimaculatus
, Bombus griseocollis
, and Bombus impatiens
(Macior 1968, Thorp et al. 1983, Colla and Dumesh 2010).
- Literature Cited AboveLegend: View Online Publication
- Colla, S.R. and S. Dumesh. 2010. The bumble bees of southern Ontario: notes on natural history and distribution. Journal of the Entomological Society of Ontario 141: 39-68.
- Macior, L.M. 1968. Bombus (Hymenoptera, Apidae) queen foraging in relation to vernal pollination in Wisconsin. Ecology 49:20-25.
- Thorp, R.W., D.S. Horning, and L.L. Dunning. 1983. Bumble bees and cuckoo bumble bees of California (Hymenoptera: Apidae). Bulletin of the California Insect Survey 23:1-79.
- Additional ReferencesLegend: View Online Publication
Do you know of a citation we're missing?
- Lesica, P., M.T. Lavin, and P.F. Stickney. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. Fort Worth, TX: BRIT Press. viii + 771 p.
- Little, E.L., Jr. 1979. Checklist of United States trees (native and naturalized). Agriculture Handbook No. 541. U.S. Forest Service, Washington, D.C. 375 pp.
- Scow, K.L. 1981. Ecological distribution of small mammals at Sarpy Creek, Montana, with special consideration of the Deer Mouse, Peromyscus maniculatus. M.Sc. Thesis. Bozeman, Montana: Montana State University. 73 p.