Heart-leaf Springbeauty - Claytonia cordifolia
(see State Rank Reason below)
MNPS Threat Rank
State Rank Reason (see State Rank above)
Very numerous collections, many of the recent, from the Beaverheads and other sites in NW MT.
Finely rhizomatous perennial. Stems erect, 5–30 cm. Basal leaf blades cordate to truncate-ovate, 1–7 cm long. Stem leaves ovate, 1–5 cm long. Inflorescence ebracteate with spreading or recurved pedicels 5–20 mm long. Flowers: sepals 2–4 mm long; petals white, 8–12 mm long. Capsule as long as sepals with 3 to 6 seeds (Lesica 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX)
In MT occurring in the western tier of counties plus Flathead County; BC south to CA, NV, and UT (Lesica 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX).
Observations in Montana Natural Heritage Program Database
Number of Observations:
(Click on the following maps and charts to see full sized version)
Map Help and Descriptions
(Observations spanning multiple months or years are excluded from time charts)
Moist spruce or red cedar forests, avalanche slopes, often along streams, seeps; montane, subalpine (Lesica 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX)
The following animal species have been reported as pollinators of this species or genera where their geographic ranges overlap: Bombus vagans
, Bombus ternarius
, Bombus pensylvanicus
, and Bombus impatiens
(Colla and Dumesh 2010, Williams et al. 2014).
- Literature Cited AboveLegend: View Online Publication
- Colla, S.R. and S. Dumesh. 2010. The bumble bees of southern Ontario: notes on natural history and distribution. Journal of the Entomological Society of Ontario 141: 39-68.
- Williams, P., R. Thorp, L. Richardson, and S. Colla. 2014. Bumble Bees of North America. Princeton, NJ. Princeton University Press.
- Additional ReferencesLegend: View Online Publication
Do you know of a citation we're missing?
- Lesica, P., M.T. Lavin, and P.F. Stickney. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. Fort Worth, TX: BRIT Press. viii + 771 p.