Woolly Groundsel - Senecio canus
MNPS Threat Rank
Fibrous-rooted from a simple or branched caudex or simple rhizome. Stems erect to ascending, sometimes branched above, 3–40 cm. Herbage tomentose, sometimes becoming glabrate on upper leaf surfaces. Leaves basal and cauline; basal blades linear-oblanceolate to ovate, entire to dentate, 1–8 cm long; cauline blades lanceolate, often with lobes or teeth, becoming sessile. Inflorescence corymbiform of 2 to 20 heads. Heads radiate; involucres 4–12 mm high; phyllaries 13 to 21, sparsely tomentose, sometimes purplish. Rays 8 to 13; ligules 3–12 mm long. Disk corollas 4–7 mm long. Achenes 2–4 mm long, glabrous (Lesica 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX)
BC to MB south to CA, AZ, NM and KS (Lesica 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX).
Observations in Montana Natural Heritage Program Database
Number of Observations:
(Click on the following maps and charts to see full sized version)
Map Help and Descriptions
(Observations spanning multiple months or years are excluded from time charts)
Often stony soil of grasslands, sagebrush steppe, meadows, open forest, fellfields, talus, roadsides at all elevations; plains, valleys to alpine (Lesica 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX)
- Additional ReferencesLegend: View Online Publication
Do you know of a citation we're missing?
- Johnson, T. W. 1982. An analysis of pack and saddle stock grazing areas in the Bob Marshall Wilderness. M.Sc.Thesis. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 105 p.
- Lesica, P., M.T. Lavin, and P.F. Stickney. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. Fort Worth, TX: BRIT Press. viii + 771 p.
- Martin, S.A. 1985. Ecology of the Rock Creek bighorn sheep herd, Beartooth Mountains, Montana. M.Sc. Thesis. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 152 p.
- Martinka, R.R. 1970. Structural characteristics and ecological relationships of male blue grouse (Dendragapus obscurus (Say)) territories in southwestern Montana. Ph.D Dissertation. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 73 p.
- Pallister, G.L. 1974. The seasonal distribution and range use of bighorn sheep in the Beartooth Mountains, with special reference to the West Rosebud and Stillwater herds. M.Sc. Thesis. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 67 p.
- Steerey, W. F. 1979. Distribution, range use and population characteristics of Mule Deer associated with the Schafer Creek winter range, Bridger Mountains, Montana. M.Sc. Thesis. Bozeman, Montana: Montana State University. 119 p.