Prairie Cordgrass - Spartina pectinata
Stems 1–2 m. Leaves: blades 3–5 mm wide; ligule 2–3 mm long. Inflorescences of 8 to 15 secund lateral spikes often appressed to the main rachis, each 3–4 cm long and with 20 to 30 spikelets. Spikelets 10–20 mm long, glumes short-awned. Lemmas distally scabrous (Lavin in Lesica et al. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX
Throughout much of North America excepting the very southwest and southeast (Lavin in Lesica et al. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX).
Observations in Montana Natural Heritage Program Database
Number of Observations:
(Click on the following maps and charts to see full sized version)
Map Help and Descriptions
(Observations spanning multiple months or years are excluded from time charts)
- Literature Cited AboveLegend: View Online Publication
- Lesica, P., M.T. Lavin, and P.F. Stickney. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. Fort Worth, TX: BRIT Press. viii + 771 p.
- Additional ReferencesLegend: View Online Publication
Do you know of a citation we're missing?
- Anderson, N.L. 1951. Field studies on the biology of range grasshoppers of southeastern Montana. M.Sc. Thesis. Bozeman, Montana: Montana State University. 96 p.
- Baril, S.F. 1977. Benthic invertebrate distribution, abundance, and diversity in Rosebud Creek, Montana. M.Sc. Thesis. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 97 p.
- Eggers, M.J.S. 2005. Riparian vegetation of the Montana Yellowstone and cattle grazing impacts thereon. M.Sc. Thesis. Montana State University, Bozeman, MT. 125 p.
- Fischer, B.V. 2019. The Effects of increasing crop diversity on populations of Wheat Stem Sawfly (Cephus cinctus) and associated braconid parasitoids. M.Sc. Thesis. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 127 p.
- Hale, K.M. 2007. Investigations of the West Nile virus transmission cycle at Medicine Lake National Wildlife Refuge, Montana, 2005-2006. M.Sc. Thesis. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 74 p.
- Johnson, S. R., and A. K. Knapp. 1995. The influence of fire on Spartina pectinata wetland communities in a northeastern Kansas tallgrass prairie. Canadian Journal of Botany 73:84-90.
- Trout, R.G. 1978. Small mammal abundance and distribution in the Missouri River Breaks, Montana. M.Sc. Thesis. Bozeman, Montana: Montana State University. 64 p.