Smith's Melicgrass - Melica smithii
(see State Rank Reason below)
State Rank Reason (see State Rank above)
Melica smithii occurs sporadically across Montana, growing in cool, moist woods. Data indicate that it is under-collected rather than being rare.
- Details on Status Ranking and Review
ScoreF - 20,000-200,000 sq km (~8,000-80,000 sq mi)
Area of Occupancy
ScoreD - 6-25 4-km2 grid cells
Number of Populations
ScoreB - 6 - 20
Number of Occurrences or Percent Area with Good Viability / Ecological Integrity
ScoreC - Few (4-12) occurrences with excellent or good viability or ecological integrity
ScoreC - Moderate. Generalist or community with some key requirements scarce
ScoreD - Low
CommentNo known threats.
Bunchgrass Stems 60–100 cm tall, from a slender base. Leaves: blades 6–12 mm wide, ligules 2–4 mm long. Inflorescence a narrow panicle or raceme 10–30 cm long, branches solitary, spreading or bent downwards. Spikelets 12–18 mm long. Lemmas: 3 to 5 per spikelet, with a 2–8 mm awn borne from the tip (Lavin in Lesica et al. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX
Southern British Columbia to Oregon, east to Alberta, Montana and Wyoming. Also known to Ontario and Michigan.
Observations in Montana Natural Heritage Program Database
Number of Observations:
(Click on the following maps and charts to see full sized version)
Map Help and Descriptions
(Observations spanning multiple months or years are excluded from time charts)
- Literature Cited AboveLegend: View Online Publication
- Hitchcock, C. L., A. Cronquist, M. Ownbey, and J. W. Thompson. 1969. Vascular Plants of the Pacific Northwest. Part I: Vascular Cryptogams, Gymnosperms and Monocotyledons. Seattle, WA: University of Washington Press. 914 pp.
- Lesica, P., M.T. Lavin, and P.F. Stickney. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. Fort Worth, TX: BRIT Press. viii + 771 p.
- Additional ReferencesLegend: View Online Publication
Do you know of a citation we're missing?
- Britton, N. L. and A. B. Brown. 1913. An Illustrated Flora of the Northern United States, Canada, and the British Possessions. 2nd Edition in 3 Volumes. New York, NY: Charles Scribner's Sons. B13BRI01PAUS.