Pine Woods Horkelia - Horkelia fusca
(see State Rank Reason below)
State Rank Reason (see State Rank above)
Horkelia fusca has not been documented in Montana. Since 1959 Botanists have felt that Horkelia fusca could be in Montana because habitat appears to be present and populations occur in neighboring Idaho and possibly Yellowstone National Park (YNP), Wyoming. The Flora of Montana (Booth 1966) included it and placed a dot on Ravalli County, yet stated "Not known in Montana; near our borders and may be present." Subsequently, it was included in the Vascular Plants of Montana (Dorn 1984) as 'reported' though the author found no specimens for Montana and one record for YNP in Wyoming (Robert Dorn personal communication). While there is potential habitat in Montana, as of 2019 Horkelia fusca is not documented in our state (Lesica et al. 2012; Ertter and Reveal in Flora of North America 2014; https://www.pnwherbaria.org/). A conservation status rank is not applicable (SNA) because this plant is not known to occur in Montana.
Please refer to the State Rank Reason for its status and the following botanical literature for species identification
: Flora of North AmericaPublished FlorasOn-line e-FlorasFlora of the Pacific Northwest - An Illustrated Manual
, Second Edition (Giblin et al. [eds.] 2018).Potential specimens should be provided to and verified at one of our State Herbaria
University of Montana (MONTU), Montana State University (MONT), or Montana State University-Billings (MSUB).
- Literature Cited AboveLegend: View Online Publication
- Booth, W. E. and J. C. Wright. 1966. Flora of Montana-Part II: dicotyledons. Montana State University, Bozeman, MT. 305 pp.
- Dorn, R. D. 1984. Vascular Plants of Montana. Cheyenne, WY: Mountain West Publishing. 276 pp.
- Flora of North America Editorial Committee, eds. (FNA). 2014. Flora of North America North of Mexico. Vol. 9. Magnoliophyta: Picramniaceae to Rosaceae. New York, NY: Oxford University Press, Inc. 752 pp.
- Hitchcock, C.L. and A. Cronquist. 2018. Flora of the Pacific Northwest: An Illustrated Manual. Second Edition. Giblin, D.E., B.S. Legler, P.F. Zika, and R.G. Olmstead (eds). Seattle, WA: University of Washington Press in Association with Burke Museum of Natural History and Culture. 882 p.
- Lesica, P., M.T. Lavin, and P.F. Stickney. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. Fort Worth, TX: BRIT Press. viii + 771 p.
- Additional ReferencesLegend: View Online Publication
Do you know of a citation we're missing?
- Lesica, P., M.T. Lavin, and P.F. Stickney. 2022. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants, Second Edition. Fort Worth, TX: BRIT Press. viii + 779 p.