Small Yellow Buttercup - Ranunculus gmelinii
MNPS Threat Rank
Plants with glabrous to hirsute foliage, often aquatic. Stems hollow, floating or prostrate (rarely erect) and rooting at the nodes. Leaf blades reniform, 1–4 cm long, deeply 3-lobed into lobed segments; submerged leaves finely dissected into linear segments. Flowers with petals 3–10 mm long, slightly to much longer than the mostly glabrous sepals Achenes flattened, 1–2 mm long, glabrous with a straight beak 0.5–1 mm long; heads globose, 4–7 mm high (Lesica et al. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX
AK to NL south to NM, WY, IL, ME; Asia (Lesica et al. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX).
Observations in Montana Natural Heritage Program Database
Number of Observations:
(Click on the following maps and charts to see full sized version)
Map Help and Descriptions
(Observations spanning multiple months or years are excluded from time charts)
Mud or shallow water of ponds, lakes, slow streams; plains, valleys, montane, rarely higher (Lesica et al. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX
The following animal species have been reported as pollinators of this plant species or its genus where their geographic ranges overlap: Bombus auricomus
, Bombus bifarius
, Bombus nevadensis
, and Bombus bimaculatus
(Macior 1968, Thorp et al. 1983).
- Literature Cited AboveLegend: View Online Publication
- Lesica, P., M.T. Lavin, and P.F. Stickney. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. Fort Worth, TX: BRIT Press. viii + 771 p.
- Macior, L.M. 1968. Bombus (Hymenoptera, Apidae) queen foraging in relation to vernal pollination in Wisconsin. Ecology 49:20-25.
- Thorp, R.W., D.S. Horning, and L.L. Dunning. 1983. Bumble bees and cuckoo bumble bees of California (Hymenoptera: Apidae). Bulletin of the California Insect Survey 23:1-79.
- Additional ReferencesLegend: View Online Publication
Do you know of a citation we're missing?
- Culver, D.R. 1994. Floristic analysis of the Centennial Region, Montana. M.Sc. Thesis. Montana State University, Bozeman. 199 pp.
- King, C. R. 1953. The Ranunculaceae of Montana. M.S. Thesis, Bozeman, MT: Montana State College. 82 p.