Horned Sea-blite - Suaeda calceoliformis
Suaeda americana, Suaeda depressa
Annual. Stems prostrate to erect, branched above, 5–40 cm. Leaves 5–20 mm long. Glomerules of 3 to 7 flowers, the bracts broadly lanceolate with scarious basal margins. Flowers: calyx segments ca. 1.5 mm, wrinkled at maturity, unequal, at least one with a horn-like appendage. Seeds lenticular to flattened, 1–2 mm (Lesica et al. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX
Across most of MT; AK and NT to QC and NS, south to CA, TX, and Mexico; disjunct on northeastern seaboard(Lesica et al. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX).
Observations in Montana Natural Heritage Program Database
Number of Observations:
(Click on the following maps and charts to see full sized version)
Map Help and Descriptions
(Observations spanning multiple months or years are excluded from time charts)
Moist saline or alkaline soil along streams, wetlands, roads; plains, valleys (Lesica et al. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX
- Literature Cited AboveLegend: View Online Publication
- Lesica, P., M.T. Lavin, and P.F. Stickney. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. Fort Worth, TX: BRIT Press. viii + 771 p.
- Additional ReferencesLegend: View Online Publication
Do you know of a citation we're missing?
- Anderson, N.L. 1951. Field studies on the biology of range grasshoppers of southeastern Montana. M.Sc. Thesis. Bozeman, Montana: Montana State University. 96 p.
- Lesica, P., M.T. Lavin, and P.F. Stickney. 2022. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants, Second Edition. Fort Worth, TX: BRIT Press. viii + 779 p.
- Seipel, T.F. 2006. Plant species diversity in the sagebrush steppe of Montana. M.Sc. Thesis. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 87 p.