Arrow-leaf Rattlesnake-root - Prenanthes sagittata
Stems erect, usually simple 15–70 cm. Herbage glabrous. Leaf blades sagittate, dentate to lobed on the lower half, 3–15 cm long. Inflorescence racemose; heads nodding in fruit. Involucre 7–13 mm high; phyllaries glabrous. Rays 7 to 20, white; ligules 7–9 mm long. Achenes ca. 5 mm long; pappus tawny (Lesica et al. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX
- Prenanthes sagittata
*Leaves: Most stem leaves have petioles. Glaucous Rattlesnake-root
- Prenanthes racemosa
, unconfirmed presence in Montana
*Leaves: Mid-stem leaves are sessile to cordate-clasping.
BC, AB, ID and MT (Lesica et al. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX).
Observations in Montana Natural Heritage Program Database
Number of Observations:
(Click on the following maps and charts to see full sized version)
Map Help and Descriptions
(Observations spanning multiple months or years are excluded from time charts)
Moist soil of thickets, wet meadows, open forest, especially along streams; montane, subalpine (Lesica et al. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX
The following animal species have been reported as pollinators of this plant species or its genus where their geographic ranges overlap: Bombus fervidus
and Bombus impatiens
(Thorp et al. 1983, Colla and Dumesh 2010).
- Literature Cited AboveLegend: View Online Publication
- Colla, S.R. and S. Dumesh. 2010. The bumble bees of southern Ontario: notes on natural history and distribution. Journal of the Entomological Society of Ontario 141:39-68.
- Lesica, P., M.T. Lavin, and P.F. Stickney. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. Fort Worth, TX: BRIT Press. viii + 771 p.
- Thorp, R.W., D.S. Horning, and L.L. Dunning. 1983. Bumble bees and cuckoo bumble bees of California (Hymenoptera: Apidae). Bulletin of the California Insect Survey 23:1-79.
- Additional ReferencesLegend: View Online Publication
Do you know of a citation we're missing?
- Lesica, P., M.T. Lavin, and P.F. Stickney. 2022. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants, Second Edition. Fort Worth, TX: BRIT Press. viii + 779 p.