Silver Sagebrush - Artemisia cana ssp. cana
We do not yet have descriptive information on this species. Please try the buttons above to search for information from other sources.
Subspecies cana is distinguished from subsp. viscidula by its taller stature (up to 150 cm), entire leaf margins, blades grayish and densely hairy (tomentose) and up to 5 mm wide, and its occurrence mostly east of the Continental Divide (Shultz, 2006, in Flora N. America, Vol. 19).
AK, BC to MB, south to WA, MT, WY, CO, ND, SD, NE and MN (Kartesz 2009).
Observations in Montana Natural Heritage Program Database
Number of Observations:
(Click on the following maps and charts to see full sized version)
Map Help and Descriptions
(Observations spanning multiple months or years are excluded from time charts)
- Additional ReferencesLegend: View Online Publication
Do you know of a citation we're missing?
- Culver, D.R. 1994. Floristic analysis of the Centennial Region, Montana. M.Sc. Thesis. Montana State University, Bozeman. 199 pp.
- Harvey, S.J. 1981. Life history and reproductive stategies in Artemisia. M.Sc. Thesis. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 132 p.
- Johnson, J.D. 2004. Restoring native species to crested wheatgrass dominated rangelands. M.Sc.Thesis. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 58 p.
- Lesica, P., M.T. Lavin, and P.F. Stickney. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. Fort Worth, TX: BRIT Press. viii + 771 p.
- Lesica, P., M.T. Lavin, and P.F. Stickney. 2022. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants, Second Edition. Fort Worth, TX: BRIT Press. viii + 779 p.
- Sater, S. 2022. The insects of Sevenmile Creek, a pictorial guide to their diversity and ecology. Undergraduate Thesis. Helena, MT: Carroll College. 242 p.
- Walton, T.P. 1984. Reproductive mechanisms of plains silver sagebrush Artemisia cana cana in southeastern Montana. M.S. thesis. Montana State University, Bozeman.
- Wambolt, C. L., T. P. Walton, and R. S. White. 1990. Sprouting and seedling establishment in plains silver sagebrush (Artemisia cana Pursh. ssp. cana). Great Basin Nat. 50:201-207.
- Wambolt, C. L., T. Walton and R. S. White. 1989. Seed dispersal characteristics of plains silver sagebrush. The Prairie Naturalist. 21:(3)113-118.