Freshwater Drum - Aplodinotus grunniens
The only member of the drum family native to Montana. This species is found in larger streams and reservoirs in the plains region of Montana's eastern drainages. Drum are so named because they can produce sound by "drumming" muscles against their gas bladders. Drum are spring broadcast spawners, but unlike other Montana fish their eggs are buoyant. Drum are not a sport fish in Montana and are taken commercially elsewhere. Drum eat fish, insects, clams and snails.
Silvery with a pearl-gray back. This is the only Montana fish in which the lateral line extends onto the tail.
Western Hemisphere Range
Observations in Montana Natural Heritage Program Database
Number of Observations:
(Click on the following maps and charts to see full sized version)
Map Help and Descriptions
(Observations spanning multiple months or years are excluded from time charts)
Deep pools of large streams, lakes, and reservoirs. Prefers clean bottoms and moderate turbidity. Spawning has been observed to take place in lakes some distance from shore.
Eats a variety of aquatic invertebrates but snails and small clams are the predominant foods.
Spawns May - June at 65 - 70 degrees F. Spawns in schools near surface of water. Hatching time short. Fry float near surface for a time, then seek the bottom where water is deep.
- Additional ReferencesLegend: View Online Publication
Do you know of a citation we're missing?
- Duncan, M.B. 2019. Distributions, abundances, and movements of small, nongame fishes in a large Great Plains river network. Ph.D. Dissertation. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 255 p.
- Mullins, M.S. 1991. Biology and predator use of cisco (Coregonus artedi) in Fort Peck Reservoir, Montana. M.Sc. Thesis. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 68 p.
- Stash, S.W. 2001. Distribution, relative abundance, and habitat associations of Milk River fishes related to irrigation diversion dams. M.Sc. Thesis. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 82 p.
- USDI Bureau of Land Management. No date. Fishes of the Miles city, Montana BLM District. Miles City, MT: Miles City BLM District pamphlet. 12 p.
- Additional Sources of Information Related to "Fish"