Variable Platyfish - Xiphophorus variatus
This tropical aquarium fish is an illegally released pet fish. The native range is southeastern United States, Mexico, and Central America. Hybrids are common where this species occurs with the Green Swordtail. Male hybrids have a short sword.
Variable. However, a livebearer in Montana waters with an orange-red tail fin and a golden dorsal fin is almost certain to be a variable platyfish. The body is typically moss green.
Observations in Montana Natural Heritage Program Database
Number of Observations:
(Click on the following maps and charts to see full sized version)
Map Help and Descriptions
(Observations spanning multiple months or years are excluded from time charts)
Suitable natural habitats in Montana are warm springs, ponds, and streams from warm springs. Minimum temperatures 68 degrees F. (Brown 1971).
Feed on almost any living organism of debris of suitable size. Free-floating organisms such as algae, water fleas, and small aquatic insects are taken in spring ponds (Brown 1971).
Sexually mature in 3-4 months. Internal fertilizations may produce 5-8 broods/year under favorable conditions (Brown 1971).
- Literature Cited AboveLegend: View Online Publication
- Brown, C.J.D. 1971. Fishes of Montana. Bozeman, MT: Big Sky Books/Montana State University. 207 p.
- Additional ReferencesLegend: View Online Publication
Do you know of a citation we're missing?
- Joslin, Gayle, and Heidi B. Youmans. 1999. Effects of recreation on Rocky Mountain wildlife: a review for Montana. [Montana]: Montana Chapter of the Wildlife Society.
- Additional Sources of Information Related to "Fish"