View in other NatureServe Network Field Guides
English Hawthorn - Crataegus monogyna
Common Hawthorn, Single-seeded Hawthorn
Shrub or small tree 5–8 m high. Stems reddish at first, becoming gray; thorns 1–2 cm long, straight. Leaf blades ovate, 2–4 cm long, serrate, deeply 3- to 7-lobed, glabrous to sparsely hairy. Inflorescence 10- to 20-flowered, pubescent. Flowers: hypanthium pubescent; sepals 1–2 mm long; petals 5–7 mm long; stamens 20; style 1. Pome 8–10 mm wide, red, glabrous (Lesica et al. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX
Escaped from cultivation throughout most of temperate N. America and collected in Missoula County; native to Europe (Lesica et al. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX
Observations in Montana Natural Heritage Program Database
Number of Observations:
(Click on the following maps and charts to see full sized version)
Map Help and Descriptions
(Observations spanning multiple months or years are excluded from time charts)
The following animal species have been reported as pollinators of this plant species or its genus where their geographic ranges overlap: Bombus vagans
, Bombus auricomus
, Bombus melanopygus
, Bombus mixtus
, Bombus nevadensis
, Bombus pensylvanicus
, Bombus bimaculatus
, Bombus griseocollis
, and Bombus impatiens
(Macior 1968, Thorp et al. 1983, Colla and Dumesh 2010).
- Literature Cited AboveLegend: View Online Publication
- Colla, S.R. and S. Dumesh. 2010. The bumble bees of southern Ontario: notes on natural history and distribution. Journal of the Entomological Society of Ontario 141:39-68.
- Lesica, P., M.T. Lavin, and P.F. Stickney. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. Fort Worth, TX: BRIT Press. viii + 771 p.
- Macior, L.M. 1968. Bombus (Hymenoptera, Apidae) queen foraging in relation to vernal pollination in Wisconsin. Ecology 49:20-25.
- Thorp, R.W., D.S. Horning, and L.L. Dunning. 1983. Bumble bees and cuckoo bumble bees of California (Hymenoptera: Apidae). Bulletin of the California Insect Survey 23:1-79.
- Web Search Engines for Articles on "English Hawthorn"