View in other NatureServe Network Field Guides
Dock-leaf Smartweed - Polygonum lapathifolium
Sparsely puberulent annual. Stems erect to ascending, branched, 10–80 cm. Leaves short-petiolate; the blades lanceolate, 2–10 cm long; stipules brown, 4–20 mm long, papery. Flowers 2–3 mm long, in sparsely glandular, narrow racemes from upper leaf axils; pedicels 0.5–2 mm long, ascending; tepals usually 4, greenish white to rose with 3 anchor-shaped veins. Achene flattened, 2–3 mm long, shiny dark brown (Lesica et al. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX
Cosmopolitan, throughout North America (Lesica et al. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX).
Observations in Montana Natural Heritage Program Database
Number of Observations:
(Click on the following maps and charts to see full sized version)
Map Help and Descriptions
(Observations spanning multiple months or years are excluded from time charts)
The following animal species have been reported as pollinators of this plant species or its genus where their geographic ranges overlap: Bombus bifarius
, Bombus flavifrons
, Bombus frigidus
, Bombus melanopygus
, Bombus sylvicola
, Bombus occidentalis
, Bombus pensylvanicus
, Bombus insularis
, and Bombus kirbiellus
(Macior 1974, Colla and Dumesh 2010).
- Literature Cited AboveLegend: View Online Publication
- Colla, S.R. and S. Dumesh. 2010. The bumble bees of southern Ontario: notes on natural history and distribution. Journal of the Entomological Society of Ontario 141:39-68.
- Lesica, P., M.T. Lavin, and P.F. Stickney. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. Fort Worth, TX: BRIT Press. viii + 771 p.
- Macior, L.M. 1974. Pollination ecology of the Front Range of the Colorado Rocky Mountains. Melanderia 15: 1-59.
- Additional ReferencesLegend: View Online Publication
Do you know of a citation we're missing?
- Boggs, K. W. 1984. Succession in riparian communities of the lower Yellowstone River, Montana. M.S. Thesis. Montana State University, Bozeman, 107 pp.
- Culver, D.R. 1994. Floristic analysis of the Centennial Region, Montana. M.Sc. Thesis. Montana State University, Bozeman. 199 pp.
- Eggers, M.J.S. 2005. Riparian vegetation of the Montana Yellowstone and cattle grazing impacts thereon. M.Sc. Thesis. Montana State University, Bozeman, MT. 125 p.
- Jones, W. W. 1901. Preliminary flora of Gallatin County. M.S. Thesis. Bozeman, MT: Montana State College. 78 pp.
- Web Search Engines for Articles on "Dock-leaf Smartweed"