View in other NatureServe Network Field Guides
Imperfect Wild Buckwheat - Eriogonum mancum
Cushion-forming perennial from a woody, branched caudex. Flowering stems erect, 1–10 cm, covered in old leaf bases below. Leaves all basal; the blades oblanceolate, tomentose, 5–15 mm long. Inflorescence capitate with a cluster of several involucres; bracts scale-like; involucres tomentose, 1–4 mm long with 5 erect lobes. Flowers 1–3 mm long, cream to yellow, cup-shaped; tepals glabrous, punctate, similar in shape; stamens exserted. Achenes 20-3 mm long (Lesica et al. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX
Regional endemic of southwestern MT, east-central ID, and north-central WY.
Observations in Montana Natural Heritage Program Database
Number of Observations:
(Click on the following maps and charts to see full sized version)
Map Help and Descriptions
(Observations spanning multiple months or years are excluded from time charts)
The following animal species have been reported as pollinators of this plant species or its genus where their geographic ranges overlap: Bombus bifarius
, Bombus centralis
, Bombus flavifrons
, Bombus huntii
, Bombus melanopygus
, Bombus mixtus
, Bombus ternarius
, Bombus occidentalis
, Bombus insularis
, and Bombus flavidus
(Thorp et al. 1983, Koch et al. 2012, Williams et al. 2014).
- Literature Cited AboveLegend: View Online Publication
- Koch, J., J. Strange, and P. Williams. 2012. Bumble bees of the western United States. Washington, DC: USDA Forest Service, Pollinator Partnership. 143 p.
- Lesica, P., M.T. Lavin, and P.F. Stickney. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. Fort Worth, TX: BRIT Press. viii + 771 p.
- Thorp, R.W., D.S. Horning, and L.L. Dunning. 1983. Bumble bees and cuckoo bumble bees of California (Hymenoptera: Apidae). Bulletin of the California Insect Survey 23:1-79.
- Williams, P., R. Thorp, L. Richardson, and S. Colla. 2014. Bumble Bees of North America. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press. 208 p.
- Additional ReferencesLegend: View Online Publication
Do you know of a citation we're missing?
- Culver, D.R. 1994. Floristic analysis of the Centennial Region, Montana. M.Sc. Thesis. Montana State University, Bozeman. 199 pp.
- Harvey, S.J. 1990. Responses of steppe plants to gradients of water soil texture and disturbance in Montana, U.S.A. Ph.D. Thesis. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 34 p.
- Web Search Engines for Articles on "Imperfect Wild Buckwheat"