Grassy Pondweed - Potamogeton gramineus
MNPS Threat Rank
Stems terete, branched. Submersed leaves linear to linear-lanceolate, 2–10 cm × 3–15 mm; stipules 1–3 cm long, not sheathing. Floating leaves long-petiolate; blades elliptic, 2–7 cm long. Spikes 15–40 mm long, continuous. Tepals green, ca. 2 mm long. Fruits 2–3 mm long, keeled with a short, curved beak (Lesica 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX)
Stem terete or slightly flattened, not black spotted. Many submersed leaves more than 4 mm wide, 3-8 cm long, with 3-9 veins, sessile, not cordate or auriculate at the base. Stipular sheath 1-3 cm long. Beak of the achene less than 1.5 mm long and lacking a basal appendage. Plants not red tinged.
Circumboreal south to most of U.S. (Lesica 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX).
Observations in Montana Natural Heritage Program Database
Number of Observations:
(Click on the following maps and charts to see full sized version)
Map Help and Descriptions
(Observations spanning multiple months or years are excluded from time charts)
Shallow or deep, sometimes alkaline water of ponds, lakes; plains, valleys, montane (Lesica 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX)
- Additional ReferencesLegend: View Online Publication
Do you know of a citation we're missing?
- Britton, N. L. and A. B. Brown. 1913. An Illustrated Flora of the Northern United States, Canada, and the British Possessions. 2nd Edition in 3 Volumes. New York, NY: Charles Scribner's Sons. B13BRI01PAUS.
- Fassett, Norman C. 1940. A Manual of Aquatic Plants, 1st ed. New York: McGraw-Hill. B57FAS01PAUS.
- Fernald, M. L. 1950. Gray's manual of botany. Eighth edition. A handbook of the flowering plants and ferns of the central and northeastern United States and Adjacent Canada. American Book Co., New York.
- Garrett, P.A. 1983. Relationships between benthic communities, land use, chemical dynamics, and trophic state in Georgetown Lake. Ph.D. Dissertation. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 136 p.
- Gleason, H. A., and A. Cronquist. 1991. Manual of vascular plants of northeastern United States and adjacent Canada. New York Botanical Garden, Bronx, NY. 910 pp.
- Horpestad, A.A. 1969. Factors affecting the distribution and abundance of aquatic macrophytes in parts of the Madison, Firehole and Gibbon Rivers. M.Sc. Thesis. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 88 p.
- Lesica, P., M.T. Lavin, and P.F. Stickney. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. Fort Worth, TX: BRIT Press. viii + 771 p.
- Linnaeus, C. 1753. Species Plantarum. A fascimile of the first edition printed by Adlard & Son, Bartholomew Press, Dorking, Great Britain. 2 vol.