Hooded Lady's-tresses - Spiranthes romanzoffiana
(see State Rank Reason below)
MNPS Threat Rank
State Rank Reason (see State Rank above)
A relatively common and widespread species of montane wet meadows, fens and other mesic sites in the mountains.
Stem 5–40 cm. Leaves narrowly oblanceolate, 3–15 cm long. Inflorescence viscid, 2–10 cm long with numerous tightly contiguous flowers in 3 or 4 columns; bracts 7–12 mm long. Flowers: lower sepals with spreading tips; hood 5–10 mm long; lip petal 7–11 mm long with a dilated, reflexed tip. Capsule 6–10 mm long (Lesica 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX)
Spike tightly spiraled, 3 ranked. Flowers large, usually 9 mm long or more. Lip markedly constricted near the center with a dilated apex.
AK to NL south to CA, NM, NE, IA and NY (Lesica 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX).
Observations in Montana Natural Heritage Program Database
Number of Observations:
(Click on the following maps and charts to see full sized version)
Map Help and Descriptions
(Observations spanning multiple months or years are excluded from time charts)
- Additional ReferencesLegend: View Online Publication
Do you know of a citation we're missing?
- Brackley, F.E. 1985. The Orchids of New Hampshire. Rhodora 87:1-117. A85BRA01PAUS
- Correll, D.S. 1950. Native Orchids of North America, North of Mexico. Chronica Botanica Company, Waltham, Mass. USA. B50COR01PAUS
- Fernald, M. L. 1950. Gray's manual of botany. Eighth edition. A handbook of the flowering plants and ferns of the central and northeastern United States and Adjacent Canada. American Book Co., New York.
- Gleason, H.A. 1952. New Britton & Brown. Illustrated Flora. Lancaster Press Inc. Lancaster, Pa. B52GLE01PAUS
- Henry, L.K., W.E. Buker and D.L. Pearth. 1975. Western Pennsylvania Orchids. Castanea 40 (2):93-171.
- Lesica, P., M.T. Lavin, and P.F. Stickney. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. Fort Worth, TX: BRIT Press. viii + 771 p.
- Luer, C. A. 1975. The native orchids of the United States and Canada. The New York Botanical Garden, Bronx, New York. 361 pp.
- McCance, R.M., Jr., and J.F. Burns, eds. 1984. Ohio endangered and threatened vascular plants: Abstracts of state-listed taxa. Division Natural Areas and Preserves, Ohio Dept. Natural Resources, Columbus. 635 pp.
- Von Chamisso, Ludolf Adelbert. 1836. De Plantis in Expeditione Speculatoria Romanzoffiana observatis rationem dicunt, in Linnaea i-x, 1826-1836. Vol 3, part 1, pages 25-35. Orchid. arcticae. B36VON01PAUS.
- Voss, E.G. 1972. Michigan Flora Part I. Kingsport Press, Bloomfield Hills, Mich. B72VOS01PAUS