Wood Lily - Lilium philadelphicum
State Rank Reason (see State Rank above)
Lilium philadelphicum has a patchy, but wide distribution in Montana, and is often found in specialized habitats. Observations in eastern Montana have not been made since the 1930's and 1940's. This species is vulnerable to extirpation in Montana because of its attractiveness, potential to be over-collected, and habitat requirements. Native lilies have rarely survived in gardens. Current information on known locations, especially in the eastern counties, is greatly needed.
- Details on Status Ranking and Review
Wood Lily (Lilium philadelphicum) Conservation Status Review
Review Date =
Stems 20–60 cm. Leaves linear-lanceolate, 3–7 cm long. Flowers 1 to 3; tepals reddish with yellowish and black-spotted bases, elliptic, long-clawed, 5–7 cm long, spreading; stamens barely included. Capsule narrowly ovoid, 2–4 cm long (Lesica 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX)
BC to QC south to ID, NM, IL and GA (Lesica 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX).
Observations in Montana Natural Heritage Program Database
Number of Observations:
(Click on the following maps and charts to see full sized version)
Map Help and Descriptions
(Observations spanning multiple months or years are excluded from time charts)
- Literature Cited AboveLegend: View Online Publication
- Hitchcock, C. L., A. Cronquist, M. Ownbey, and J. W. Thompson. 1969. Vascular Plants of the Pacific Northwest. Part I: Vascular Cryptogams, Gymnosperms and Monocotyledons. Seattle, WA: University of Washington Press. 914 pp.
- Lesica, P., M. T. Lavin, and P. F. Stickney. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. Fort Worth, TX: BRIT Press. viii + 771 p.
- Additional ReferencesLegend: View Online Publication
Do you know of a citation we're missing?
- Britton, N. L. and A. B. Brown. 1913. An Illustrated Flora of the Northern United States, Canada, and the British Possessions. 2nd Edition in 3 Volumes. New York, NY: Charles Scribner's Sons. B13BRI01PAUS.