Valley Sedge - Carex vallicola
MNPS Threat Rank
Caespitose. Stems erect, 20–40 cm. Leaves: basal and cauline; blades 1–2 mm wide. Inflorescence of 5 to 10 sessile spikes crowded in a cylindric head; lowest bract inconspicuous. Spikes 4–7 mm long, all similar; male flowers above the few female. Perigynia ascending to spreading, green to tan, ellipsoid, ca. 3–4 × 1.5–2 mm, with a short, distinct, entire beak; stigmas 2. Female scales hyaline with a dark midstripe, shorter but as wide as the perigynia. Achene 2-sided to orbicular, tightly filling the perigynium (Lesica 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX)
Flowering in June, fruiting late June to August.
BC to CA, AZ, NM and SD (Lesica 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX).
Observations in Montana Natural Heritage Program Database
Number of Observations:
(Click on the following maps and charts to see full sized version)
Map Help and Descriptions
(Observations spanning multiple months or years are excluded from time charts)
Moist or moderately dry slopes from the foothills to moderate elevations in the mountains, often with sagebrush or aspen.
- Additional ReferencesLegend: View Online Publication
Do you know of a citation we're missing?
- Culver, D.R. 1993. Sensitive plant species inventory in the Centennial Valley, Beaverhead County, Montana. Unpublished report to the Butte District, Bureau of Land Management. Montana Natural Heritage Program, Helena, 42 pp. plus appendices.
- Lesica, P. 1992. Vascular plant and sensitive plant species inventory for the Highland Mountains, Deerlodge National Forest. Unpublished report prepared for the Deerlodge National Forest. Montana Natural Heritage Program, Helena, MT. 21 pp. plus appendices, photographs.
- Lesica, P., M. T. Lavin, and P. F. Stickney. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. Fort Worth, TX: BRIT Press. viii + 771 p.
- Poole, J.M. and B.L. Heidel. 1993. Sensitive plant surveys in the Big Belt and Elkhorn Mountains, Helena National Forest, Montana. Unpublished report to the Helena National Forest. Montana Natural Heritage Program. Helena, MT. 129 pp. plus printouts, maps.
- Vanderhorst, J.P. and P. Lesica. 1994. Sensitive plant survey in the Tendoy Mountains, Beaverhead County, Montana. Unpublished report to the Bureau of Land Management, Butte District. Montana Natural Heritage Program, Helena, MT. 59 pp. plus appendices.