Thin-leaved Owl's-clover - Orthocarpus tenuifolius
(see State Rank Reason below)
MNPS Threat Rank
State Rank Reason (see State Rank above)
Widespread in western and central counties. Not often abundant within its habitats. Many populations in range that has been grazed for a long period of time.
Stems erect, mostly simple,10–25 cm. Herbage puberulent. Leaves linear with 1 or 2 pairs of linear lobes, 1–3 cm long. Inflorescence bracts ovate, entire or with a pair of linear lobes, ciliate, pink-tipped. Flowers: calyx 5–9 mm long, ultimate lobes linear, 2–6 mm long; corolla 15–18 mm long, yellow, galea 4–7 mm long, upper lip projecting beyond the lower lip. Capsule 5–8 mm long (Lesica 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX)
BC, MT south to OR and ID (Lesica 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX).
Observations in Montana Natural Heritage Program Database
Number of Observations:
(Click on the following maps and charts to see full sized version)
Map Help and Descriptions
(Observations spanning multiple months or years are excluded from time charts)
The following animal species have been reported as pollinators of this species or genera where their geographic ranges overlap: Bombus appositus
, Bombus bifarius
, Bombus centralis
, and Bombus occidentalis
(Thorp et al. 1983, Wilson et al. 2010, Williams et al. 2014).
- Literature Cited AboveLegend: View Online Publication
- Thorp, R.W., D.S. Horning, and L.L. Dunning. 1983. Bumble bees and cuckoo bumble bees of California (Hymenoptera: Apidae). Bulletin of the California Insect Survey 23:1-79.
- Williams, P., R. Thorp, L. Richardson, and S. Colla. 2014. Bumble Bees of North America. Princeton, NJ. Princeton University Press.
- Wilson, J.S., L.E. Wilson, L.D. Loftis, and T. Griswold. 2010. The montane bee fauna of north central Washington, USA, with floral associations. Western North American Naturalist 70(2): 198-207.
- Additional ReferencesLegend: View Online Publication
Do you know of a citation we're missing?
- Cope, M.G. 1992. Distribution, habitat selection and survival of transplanted Columbian Sharp-tailed Grouse (Tympanuchus phasianellus columbianus) in the Tobacco Valley, Montana. M.Sc. Thesis. Bozeman, Montana: Montana State University. 60 p.
- Johnson, T. W. 1982. An analysis of pack and saddle stock grazing areas in the Bob Marshall Wilderness. M.Sc.Thesis. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 105 p.
- Jones, W. W. 1901. Preliminary flora of Gallatin County. M.S. Thesis. Bozeman, MT: Montana State College. 78 pp.
- Lesica, P., M.T. Lavin, and P.F. Stickney. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. Fort Worth, TX: BRIT Press. viii + 771 p.
- Martinka, R.R. 1970. Structural characteristics and ecological relationships of male blue grouse (Dendragapus obscurus (Say)) territories in southwestern Montana. Ph.D Dissertation. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 73 p.