Tall Cinquefoil - Drymocallis arguta
Potentilla arguta, Drymocallis convallaria
MNPS Threat Rank
Perennial from a simple or branched caudex. Stems erect, brown-hirsute and glandular, 25–80 cm. Leaf blades oblong, 6–12 cm long, pinnately divided into 5 to 9 obovate, shallowly lobed, sparsely hairy leaflets. Inflorescence a narrow, stiffly erect, flat-topped, glandular-hairy cyme. Flowers: sepals ovate, 6–7 mm long; bracteoles narrower and shorter; petals white to pale yellow,7–9 mm long. Achenes smooth, ca. 1 mm long (Lesica 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX)
Lesica (2012) treats this species in the genus Drymocallis
Often difficult to separarate from Potentilla glandulosa.
BC to QC south to NV, AZ, NM, MO and NJ (Lesica 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX).
Observations in Montana Natural Heritage Program Database
Number of Observations:
(Click on the following maps and charts to see full sized version)
Map Help and Descriptions
(Observations spanning multiple months or years are excluded from time charts)
Grasslands, steppe, dry meadows, thickets, woodlands; plains, valleys, montane (Lesica 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX)
- Additional ReferencesLegend: View Online Publication
Do you know of a citation we're missing?
- Conway, T.M. 1982. Response of understory vegetation to varied lodgepole pine (Pinus contorta) spacing intervals in Western Montana. M.Sc. Thesis. Bpzeman, MT: Montana State University. 76 p.
- Jones, W. W. 1901. Preliminary flora of Gallatin County. M.S. Thesis. Bozeman, MT: Montana State College. 78 pp.
- Lesica, P., M.T. Lavin, and P.F. Stickney. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. Fort Worth, TX: BRIT Press. viii + 771 p.
- Martinka, R.R. 1970. Structural characteristics and ecological relationships of male blue grouse (Dendragapus obscurus (Say)) territories in southwestern Montana. Ph.D Dissertation. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 73 p.