Curl-leaf Mountain-mahogany - Cercocarpus ledifolius
MNPS Threat Rank
Evergreen shrubs 1.5–5 m. Stems reddish, tomentose when young, becoming gray. Leaf blades linear, 1–3 cm long, nearly glabrous above, white-lanate beneath with entire, inrolled margins. Flowers: hypanthium 4–6 mm long, lanate, the limb reddish; sepals 1–2 mm long; stamens 15 to 25. Achene 5–10 mm long; the style 2–4 cm long (Lesica 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX)
WA to MT south to CA, AZ, UT and CO (Lesica 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX).
Observations in Montana Natural Heritage Program Database
Number of Observations:
(Click on the following maps and charts to see full sized version)
Map Help and Descriptions
(Observations spanning multiple months or years are excluded from time charts)
Stony slopes, cliffs, rock outcrops, most common on limestone or sandstone; plains, valleys, montane (Lesica 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX)
- Additional ReferencesLegend: View Online Publication
Do you know of a citation we're missing?
- Duncan, E.A. 1975. The ecology of curl-leaf mountain mahogany (Cercocarpus ledifolius Nutt.) in Southwestern Montana with special reference to use by mule deer. M.Sc. Thesis. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 87 p.
- Lesica, P., M.T. Lavin, and P.F. Stickney. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. Fort Worth, TX: BRIT Press. viii + 771 p.
- Little, E.L., Jr. 1979. Checklist of United States trees (native and naturalized). Agriculture Handbook No. 541. U.S. Forest Service, Washington, D.C. 375 pp.
- Lonner, T.N. 1972. Age distributions and some age relationships of key browse plants on big game ranges in Montana. M.Sc. Thesis. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 79 p.
- Martin, P.R. 1973. Ecology of skunkbrush sumac (Rhus trilobata Nutt.) in Montana with special reference to use by mule deer. M.Sc. Thesis. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 97 p.
- Martinka, R.R. 1970. Structural characteristics and ecological relationships of male blue grouse (Dendragapus obscurus (Say)) territories in southwestern Montana. Ph.D Dissertation. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 73 p.
- Ormiston, J.H. 1978. Response of curlleaf mountain mahogany to top pruning in southwest Montana. Pp. 401-402 in H.L. Heady, ed., Proc. First Inter. Rangeland Congress. Soc. Range Manage., Denver, CO.
- Weaver, T. 1986. Estimation of Cercocamus ledifolius biomass and leaf area index: three methods. Montana Acad. Sci. Proc. 46:67-74.