White Water Buttercup - Ranunculus aquatilis
Ranunculus longirostris, Ranunculus subrigidus, Ranunculus circinatus, Ranunculus trichophyllus
MNPS Threat Rank
Plants aquatic. Stems floating with glabrous to sparsely hairy foliage. Leaf blades 10–30 mm long, reniform, twice divided into numerous thread-like segments. Flowers solitary at leaf nodes; petals white, 4–9 mm long, twice as long as the glabrous, deciduous sepals. Achenes glabrous or sparsely hairy, cross-corrugate, 1–2 mm long with a straight beak ca. 0.5 mm long; heads hemispheric, 3–5 mm high (Lesica 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX)
Circumboreal south to most of North America (Lesica 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX).
Observations in Montana Natural Heritage Program Database
Number of Observations:
(Click on the following maps and charts to see full sized version)
Map Help and Descriptions
(Observations spanning multiple months or years are excluded from time charts)
- Literature Cited AboveLegend: View Online Publication
- Hitchcock, C. L., A. Cronquist, M. Ownbey, and J. W. Thompson. 1964. Vascular Plants of the Pacific Northwest. Part 2: Salicaceae to Saxifragaceae. University of Washington Press, Seattle. 597 pp.
- Additional ReferencesLegend: View Online Publication
Do you know of a citation we're missing?
- Gillespie, D.M. 1966. Population studies of four species of mollusks in the Madison River, Yellowstone National Park. Ph.D. Dissertation. Bozeman, Montana: Montana State University. 43 p.
- Lesica, P., M.T. Lavin, and P.F. Stickney. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. Fort Worth, TX: BRIT Press. viii + 771 p.
- McCarthy, J.J. 1973. Response of nesting Canada geese (Branta canadensis) to islands in stockdams in northcentral Montana. M.Sc. Thesis. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 36 p.
- Miller, M.G. 1980. The influence of habitat features on waterfowl productivity on stock reservoirs in south Valley County, Montana. M.Sc. Thesis. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 43 p.
- Mundinger, J.G. 1975. The influence of rest-rotation grazing management on waterfowl production on stock-water reservoirs in Phillips County, Montana. M.Sc. Thesis. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 100 p.