Winterfat - Krascheninnikovia lanata
Ceratoides lanata, Eurotia lanata
MNPS Threat Rank
Monoecious or dioecious subshrub with stellate-pubescent, long-hairy foliage. Stems erect, to 40 cm, woody only at the base. Leaves short-petiolate, linear, 1–3 cm long with entire margins; smaller leaves in axillary fascicles. Inflorescence axillary clusters of small spikes. Flowers unisexual, apetalous. Male flowers a 4-parted calyx with 4 stamens. Female flowers enclosed in 2 partly united bracts; calyx absent. Fruit enclosed by densely long-hairy bracts, 4–6 mm long with divergent horn-like tips (Lesica 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX)
In MT nearly statewide apart from northestern counties; AB to MB south to CA, NM, and TX (Lesica 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX).
Observations in Montana Natural Heritage Program Database
Number of Observations:
(Click on the following maps and charts to see full sized version)
Map Help and Descriptions
(Observations spanning multiple months or years are excluded from time charts)
- Literature Cited AboveLegend: View Online Publication
- Great Plains Flora Association (McGregor, R.L., coordinator, and T.M. Barkley, R.E. Brooks, and E.K. Schofield - eds.). 1986. Flora of the Great Plains. Lawrence, KS: Univ. Press Kansas. 1392 pp.
- Additional ReferencesLegend: View Online Publication
Do you know of a citation we're missing?
- Anderson, N.L. 1951. Field studies on the biology of range grasshoppers of southeastern Montana. M.Sc. Thesis. Bozeman, Montana: Montana State University. 96 p.
- Dolan, J.J. 1966. Long-term responses of dense clubmoss (Selaginella densa Rydb.) to range renovation practices in northern Montana. M.Sc. Thesis. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 83 pp.
- Hildebrand, B. D. 1979. Habitat requirements of molting Canada Geese at Lima Reservoir, Montana. M.Sc. Thesis. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 79 p.
- Lesica, P., M.T. Lavin, and P.F. Stickney. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. Fort Worth, TX: BRIT Press. viii + 771 p.