Claspingleaf Venus'-looking-glass - Triodanis perfoliata
(see State Rank Reason below)
MNPS Threat Rank
State Rank Reason (see State Rank above)
Triodanis perfoliata is common in the southeastern Great Plains and extends into eastern, central, and western Montana. It occurs in grasslands that can be rocky or mixed with Pinus ponderosa, in stream terraces, or moist areas. It has been found in grazed and ungrazed lands, around campgrounds and reservoirs, and appears to tolerate some disturbance. Re-visits to the 25 known locations and current population data is greatly needed.
Stems erect, usually branched, 10–40 cm. Herbage sparsely hispid. Leaves ovate to orbicular, crenate, sessile, cordate-clasping above, 5–20 mm long. Inflorescence with clusters of 1 to 3 sessile flowers in axils of leaf-like bracts; lower flowers cleistogamous. Chasmogamous flowers: sepals lanceolate, 3–7 mm long; corolla purple, 6–10 mm long. Capsule ellipsoid, 5–8 mm long for chasmogamous flowers, 3–4 mm long for cleistogamous flowers (Lesica 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX)
Temperate North America south to S. America (Lesica 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX).
Observations in Montana Natural Heritage Program Database
Number of Observations:
(Click on the following maps and charts to see full sized version)
Map Help and Descriptions
(Observations spanning multiple months or years are excluded from time charts)
- Literature Cited AboveLegend: View Online Publication
- Hitchcock, C. L., A. Cronquist, M. Ownbey and J. W. Thompson. 1959. Vascular plants of the Pacific Northwest, Part 4. Ericaceae through Campanulaceae. University of Washington Press, Seattle and London. 510 pp.
- Lesica, P., M. T. Lavin, and P. F. Stickney. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. Fort Worth, TX: BRIT Press. viii + 771 p.
- Additional ReferencesLegend: View Online Publication
Do you know of a citation we're missing?
- Britton, N. L. and A. B. Brown. 1913. An Illustrated Flora of the Northern United States, Canada, and the British Possessions. 2nd Edition in 3 Volumes. New York, NY: Charles Scribner's Sons. B13BRI01PAUS.