Speckled Alder - Alnus incana
MNPS Threat Rank
Shrubs to 4 m high with grayish-brown bark. Twigs finely pubescent with blunt or rounded winter buds. Leaf blades 3–8 cm long with doubly serrate margins, paler, pubescent on veins below. Inflorescence borne on twigs of previous season. Female catkins 1–2 cm at maturity. Fruit a nutlet without wing margins.
In MT we have subspecies tenuifolia
(Nutt.) Breitung (Lesica 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX)
In MT in the western and central counties; AK to SK south to CA, east to CO, WY and NM (Lesica 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX; Furlow 1997 in Fl. N. Amer. Vol. 3).
Observations in Montana Natural Heritage Program Database
Number of Observations:
(Click on the following maps and charts to see full sized version)
Map Help and Descriptions
(Observations spanning multiple months or years are excluded from time charts)
- Additional ReferencesLegend: View Online Publication
Do you know of a citation we're missing?
- Burkholder, B.O. 2015. Seasonal distribution, winter habitat selection and willow utilization patterns of the Shiras Moose on the Mount Haggin Wildlife Management Area. M.Sc. Thesis. Bozeman, Montana: Montana State University. 262 p.
- Burkholder, B.O., N.J. DeCesare, R.A. Garrot, and S.J. Boccadori. 2017. Heterogeneity and power to detect trends in Moose browse utilization of willow communities. ALCES 53:23-29.
- Dresser, M.A. 2015. Demographic responses of woodpeckers in relation to a Mountain Pine Beetle epidemic in the Elkhorn Mountains of Montana. M.Sc. Thesis. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 71 p.
- Endicott, C.L. 1996. Responses of riparian and stream ecosystems to varying timing and intensity of livestock grazing in central Montana. M.Sc. Thesis. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 115 p.
- Jones, W. W. 1901. Preliminary flora of Gallatin County. M.S. Thesis. Bozeman, MT: Montana State College. 78 pp.
- Lesica, P., M.T. Lavin, and P.F. Stickney. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. Fort Worth, TX: BRIT Press. viii + 771 p.
- Little, E.L., Jr. 1979. Checklist of United States trees (native and naturalized). Agriculture Handbook No. 541. U.S. Forest Service, Washington, D.C. 375 pp.
- Martin, S.A. 1985. Ecology of the Rock Creek bighorn sheep herd, Beartooth Mountains, Montana. M.Sc. Thesis. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 152 p.
- Newlon, K.R. 2005. Demography of Lewis's Woodpecker, breeding bird densities, and riparian Aspen integrity in a grazed landscape. M.Sc. Thesis. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 101 p.
- Nyberg, H.E. 1980. Distribution, movements and habitat use of mule deer associated with the Brackett Creek winter range, Bridger Mountains, Montana. M.Sc. Thesis. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 106 p.
- Stewart, S.T. 1975. Ecology of the West Rosebud and Stillwater bighorn sheep herds, Beartooth Mountains, Montana. M.Sc. Thesis. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 130 p.
- Tuinstra, K. E. 1967. Vegetation of the floodplains and first terraces of Rock Creek near Red Lodge, Montana. Ph.D dissertation. Montana State University, Bozeman 110 pp.
- Tyers, D.B. 2003. Winter ecology of moose on the Northern Yellowstone Winter Range. Ph.D. Dissertation. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 308 p.