Fascicled Ironweed - Vernonia fasciculata ssp. corymbosa
(see State Rank Reason below)
MNPS Threat Rank
State Rank Reason (see State Rank above)
Vernonia fasciculata var. corymbosa is not documented in Montana (MTNHP Status Review in 2015). It was included in the Atlas of the Flora of the Great Plains (McGregor et al. [eds.] 1977) as occurring in Blaine County. A search for the specimen(s) (by its scientific and county names) was conducted at all herbaria consulted in the preparation of the Atlas, yet no specimen has been found (Andrea Pipp personal communication). Further the Flora of the Great Plains (McGregor et al. [eds.] 1986) did not include Montana within its geographical range. Since 1977 the major floras that cover Montana have not included this plant in their publications (Booth 1966; McGregor et al. [eds.] 1977; Dorn 1984; McGregor et al. [eds.] 1986; Strother in Flora of North America; and Lesica et al. 2012). Vernonia fasciculata occurs in Manitoba, the Dakotas, and eastward (Strother in Flora of North America 2007). A conservation status rank is not applicable (SNA) because this plant is not known to occur in Montana.
Please refer to the State Rank Reason for its status and the following botanical literature for species identification
: Flora of North AmericaPublished FlorasOn-line e-FlorasFlora of the Great Plains
(McGregor et al. 1986).Potential specimens should be provided to and verified at one of our State Herbaria
University of Montana (MONTU), Montana State University (MONT), or Montana State University-Billings (MSUB).
- Literature Cited AboveLegend: View Online Publication
- Flora of North America Editorial Committee. 2006. Flora of North America North of Mexico. Vol. 19. Magnoliophyta: Asteridae, part 6: Asteraceae, part 1. Oxford Univ. Press, New York. xxiv + 579 pp.
- Great Plains Flora Association (McGregor, R.L., coordinator, and T.M. Barkley, R.E. Brooks, and E.K. Schofield - eds.). 1986. Flora of the Great Plains. Lawrence, KS: Univ. Press Kansas. 1392 pp.
- McGregor, R. L., et al. 1977. Atlas of the flora of the Great Plains. Great Plains Flora Associations, Iowa State University Press, Ames, Iowa. 600 pp.
- Additional ReferencesLegend: View Online Publication
Do you know of a citation we're missing?
- Booth, W. E. and J. C. Wright. 1966. Flora of Montana-Part II: dicotyledons. Montana State University, Bozeman, MT. 305 pp.
- Dorn, R. D. 1984. Vascular Plants of Montana. Cheyenne, WY: Mountain West Publishing. 276 pp.
- Lesica, P., M.T. Lavin, and P.F. Stickney. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. Fort Worth, TX: BRIT Press. viii + 771 p.