Hoary Tansy-aster - Machaeranthera canescens
MNPS Threat Rank
Perennial. Stems ascending to erect, branched, 8–50 cm. Herbage canescent. Leaf blades linear to oblanceolate, 1–5 cm long, remotely dentate to entire. Involucre 6–9 mm high; phyllaries glandular, glabrate to canescent, oblanceolate. Rays 8 to 25, purple; ligules 5–10 mm long. Disk corollas 4–6 mm long. Achenes 3–4 mm long, strigose (Lesica 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX)
Our plants are variety canescens
BC to SK south to CA, AZ, NM and TX (Lesica 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX).
Observations in Montana Natural Heritage Program Database
Number of Observations:
(Click on the following maps and charts to see full sized version)
Map Help and Descriptions
(Observations spanning multiple months or years are excluded from time charts)
Sparsely-vegetated soil of grasslands, sagebrush steppe, badlands, sandhills, roadsides; plains, valleys (Lesica 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX)
- Additional ReferencesLegend: View Online Publication
Do you know of a citation we're missing?
- Guenther, G.E. 1989. Ecological relationships of bitterbrush communities on the Mount Haggin Wildlife Management Area. M.Sc. Thesis. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 73 p.
- Lesica, P., M.T. Lavin, and P.F. Stickney. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. Fort Worth, TX: BRIT Press. viii + 771 p.
- Quire, R.L. 2013. The sagebrush steppe of Montana and southeastern Idaho shows evidence of high native plant diversity, stability, and resistance to the detrimental effects of nonnative plant species. M.Sc. Thesis. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 124 p.
- Rundquist, V.M. 1973. Avian ecology on stock ponds in two vegetational types in north-central Montana. Ph.D. Dissertation. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 112 p.
- Seipel, T.F. 2006. Plant species diversity in the sagebrush steppe of Montana. M.Sc. Thesis. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 87 p.
- Tschache, O.P. 1970. Effects of ecological changes induced by various sagebrush control techniques on small mammal populations. M.Sc. Thesis. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 51 p.
- Tuinstra, K. E. 1967. Vegetation of the floodplains and first terraces of Rock Creek near Red Lodge, Montana. Ph.D dissertation. Montana State University, Bozeman 110 pp.