Devil's Beggarticks - Bidens frondosa
* (see State Rank Reason below)
MNPS Threat Rank
State Rank Reason (see State Rank above)
Numerous collections from Sanders, Big Horn,cTreasure, Dawson, Yellowstone counties and the CM Russell NWR. Probably undercollected due to inconspicuous appearance.
- Details on Status Ranking and Review
Devil's Beggarticks (Bidens frondosa) Conservation Status Review
Review Date =
Annual. Stems erect, 20–80 cm, often branched. Herbage glabrous to sparsely puberulent. Leaves distinctly petiolate; blades 1–8 cm long, divided into 3 lanceolate, serrate leaflets. Inflorescence: heads several; peduncles 1–8 cm long. Involucre: outer phyllaries ca. 8, linear-oblanceolate, 1–2 cm long, ciliate; inner phyllaries ovate, 4–8 mm long with erose, appendaged tips. Rays absent or 3 to 5, reduced. Disk corollas 2–3 mm long. Pappus 2, awns 2–4 mm long. Achenes flattened, 6–12 mm long (Lesica 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX)
Easily confused with Bidens vulgata, numerous MONTU collections of B. vulgata were mislabelled as B. frondosa and visa-versa.
Throughout North America (Lesica 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX).
Observations in Montana Natural Heritage Program Database
Number of Observations:
(Click on the following maps and charts to see full sized version)
Map Help and Descriptions
(Observations spanning multiple months or years are excluded from time charts)
- Additional ReferencesLegend: View Online Publication
Do you know of a citation we're missing?
- Fassett, N. C. 1985. (3rd ed.) A Manual of Aquatic Plants, with Revision Appendix by E. C. Ogden. University of Wisconsin Press, Madison. 405 pp.
- Lesica, P., M. T. Lavin, and P. F. Stickney. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. Fort Worth, TX: BRIT Press. viii + 771 p.