Mountain Big Sagebrush - Artemisia tridentata ssp. vaseyana
We do not yet have descriptive information on this species. Please try the buttons above to search for information from other sources.
Subspecies vaseyana is usually less than 1 meter tall and has a flat crown. Its inflorescences arise mostly from the outer edges of the crown; the leaf lobes are of approximately equal length and less than 3 cm long, and the involucres are less than 4 mm long.
BC and AB south to CA and east to NM (Kartesz 2009).
Observations in Montana Natural Heritage Program Database
Number of Observations:
(Click on the following maps and charts to see full sized version)
Map Help and Descriptions
(Observations spanning multiple months or years are excluded from time charts)
- Additional ReferencesLegend: View Online Publication
Do you know of a citation we're missing?
- Bilbao, J.V. 2008. Predicting feeding site selection of mule deer on foothill and mountain rangelands. M.Sc. Thesis. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 40 p.
- Bray, R.O. 1990. The influence of selected Artemisia compounds on mule deer preference. M.Sc. Thesis. Bozeman MT: Montana State University. 68 p.
- Fraas, W.W. 1992. Bitterbrush growth and reproductive character in relation to browsing in southwest Montana. M.Sc. Thesis. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 137 p.
- Fuller, W.L. 1997. Elk management strategies for sustainable beef cattle enterprises. M.Sc. Thesis. Bozeman, MT: Montnaa State University. 92 p.
- Grove, A.J. 1998. Effects of Douglas fir establishment in southwestern Montana mountain big sagebrush communities. M. Sc.Thesis. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 150 p.
- Hoffman, T.L. 1996. An ecological investigation of mountain big sagebrush in the Gardiner Basin. M.Sc. Thesis. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 84 p.
- Husby, P.O. 1982. Effects of grazing on vegetation in the Artemisia tridentata-Festuca idahoensis habitat type. M.Sc. Thesis. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 76 p.
- Johnson, K. A. 2000. Artemisia tridentata ssp. vaseyana. In: Fire Effects Information System, [Online}. U. S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station, Fire Sciences Laboratory (Producer).
- Lesica, P., M.T. Lavin, and P.F. Stickney. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. Fort Worth, TX: BRIT Press. viii + 771 p.