Fragile Rockbrake - Cryptogramma stelleri
State Rank Reason (see State Rank above)
15 collections at MONTU from 6 different counties. In need of additional data on the species' adundance and distribution in Montana to conduct a more thorough review of the species' rank.
Rhizome long and slender, easily broken. Leaves well separated. Sterile leaves 5–15 cm long; petiole ca. half that length; the blade mostly twice pinnate with lobed or toothed, ovate pinnules. Fertile leaves at least half again as long as sterile ones, mostly twice pinnate, pinnules narrowly lanceolate to linear (lobed) with pale margins rolled under but reflexed at the edge (Lesica et al. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX
Northwest MT and one collection from Park County; AK to UT, CO and ON to NL south to IL and WV (Lesica et al. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX).
Observations in Montana Natural Heritage Program Database
Number of Observations:
(Click on the following maps and charts to see full sized version)
Map Help and Descriptions
(Observations spanning multiple months or years are excluded from time charts)
Vernally wet crevices of cliffs and outcrops among moss and other ferns, more common on limestone; montane to subalpine (Lesica et al. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX
- Literature Cited AboveLegend: View Online Publication
- Lesica, P., M.T. Lavin, and P.F. Stickney. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. Fort Worth, TX: BRIT Press. viii + 771 p.
- Additional ReferencesLegend: View Online Publication
Do you know of a citation we're missing?
- Fernald, M. L. 1950. Gray's manual of botany. Eighth edition. A handbook of the flowering plants and ferns of the central and northeastern United States and Adjacent Canada. American Book Co., New York.
- Gemlin, S.G. 1768. Novi commentarii academiae scientairum imperalis petropolitanae 12:519. B68GEM01PAUS.
- Gleason, H.A. 1952. New Britton & Brown. Illustrated Flora. Lancaster Press Inc. Lancaster, Pa. B52GLE01PAUS
- Kunsman, J.R. and Keener, C.S. 1986. New Records of Vascular Plants from Bair County, Pennsylvania. Bartonia 52:14-25. A86KUN01PAUS
- Lellinger, D.B. 1985. A Field Manual of the Ferns and Fern-Allies of the United States and Canada. Smithsonian Inst. Press. Washington, D.C. B85LEL01PAUS
- Lesica, P., M.T. Lavin, and P.F. Stickney. 2022. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants, Second Edition. Fort Worth, TX: BRIT Press. viii + 779 p.
- Wherry, E.T. 1940-1941. The Ferns and Lycosphenes of Pennsylvania. Bartonia 21:11-37. A40WHE01PAUS