Northern Desert-gold - Linanthus septentrionalis
Leptosiphon septentrionalis, Linanthus harknessii var. septentrionalis
Stems thin, 2–25 cm, sometimes branched above. Herbage glabrous, puberulent on stems. Leaves sessile, 3–15 mm long, palmately divided to the base into 3 to 7 linear lobes. Inflorescence of flowers paired in upper leaf axils; pedicels 4–20 mm long. Flowers 5-merous; calyx 2–3 mm long with hyaline intercostal membranes; corolla white, campanulate, 1.5–2 times as long as the calyx, tube ca. 2 mm long, lobes ca. 2 mm long; stamens, equally inserted at the top of the tube among a line of short hairs, well exserted. Capsule with 2 to 8 seeds per locule, 2–3 mm long (Lesica et al. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX
BC, AB south to CA, NV, UT and CO (Lesica et al. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX).
Observations in Montana Natural Heritage Program Database
Number of Observations:
(Click on the following maps and charts to see full sized version)
Map Help and Descriptions
(Observations spanning multiple months or years are excluded from time charts)
Vernally moist, often shallow soil of grasslands, sagebrush steppe, forest openings, talus, rock outcrops, wetland margins; plains, valleys to subalpine (Lesica et al. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX
- Literature Cited AboveLegend: View Online Publication
- Lesica, P., M.T. Lavin, and P.F. Stickney. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. Fort Worth, TX: BRIT Press. viii + 771 p.
- Additional ReferencesLegend: View Online Publication
Do you know of a citation we're missing?
- Ament, R.J. 1995. Pioneer Plant Communities Five Years After the 1988 Yellowstone Fires. M.Sc. Thesis. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 216 p.
- Clark, D. 1991. The effect of fire on Yellowstone ecosystem seed banks. M.Sc. Thesis. Montana State University, Bozeman. 115 pp.
- Johnson, T. W. 1982. An analysis of pack and saddle stock grazing areas in the Bob Marshall Wilderness. M.Sc.Thesis. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 105 p.
- Lesica, P., M.T. Lavin, and P.F. Stickney. 2022. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants, Second Edition. Fort Worth, TX: BRIT Press. viii + 779 p.
- Quire, R.L. 2013. The sagebrush steppe of Montana and southeastern Idaho shows evidence of high native plant diversity, stability, and resistance to the detrimental effects of nonnative plant species. M.Sc. Thesis. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 124 p.