View in other NatureServe Network Field Guides
Yellow-staining Collomia - Collomia tinctoria
State Rank Reason (see State Rank above)
Has not been collected in Montana for over 100 years.
Yellow-staining Collomia is an annual with branched stems reaching up to 15 cm high. The alternate, linear leaves are 1-5 cm long with entire margins. Foliage is glandular and hairy. 2-5 short-stalked flowers are clustered in the leaf axils or where branches the diverge. The pink or lavender, tubular corolla is 8-14 mm long and flares into 5 lobes. The calyx tube is expanded where it flares into 5 triangular lobes. The 5 stamens are of different lengths and attached to the corolla tube. The fruit is a globose capsule.
Collomia linearis has flowers that are clustered near the branch tips. Microsteris gracilis has a white or yellowish corolla tube, and the calyx is glandular and hairy.
Central WA to CA, east to MT, southeaster OR and western NV. Peripheral.
Observations in Montana Natural Heritage Program Database
Number of Observations:
(Click on the following maps and charts to see full sized version)
Map Help and Descriptions
(Observations spanning multiple months or years are excluded from time charts)
Dry grasslands and rocky, open slopes from the valley to montane zones.
Ecological Systems Associated with this Species
- Additional ReferencesLegend: View Online Publication
Do you know of a citation we're missing?
- Lesica, P., M.T. Lavin, and P.F. Stickney. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. Fort Worth, TX: BRIT Press. viii + 771 p.
- Quire, R.L. 2013. The sagebrush steppe of Montana and southeastern Idaho shows evidence of high native plant diversity, stability, and resistance to the detrimental effects of nonnative plant species. M.Sc. Thesis. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 124 p.
- Simanonok, M. 2018. Plant-pollinator network assembly after wildfire. Ph.D. Dissertation. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University. 123 p.
- Wherry, E.T. 1944. Review of the genera Collomia and Gymnosteris. American Midland Naturalist 31:216-231.
- Web Search Engines for Articles on "Yellow-staining Collomia"