Torrey's Sedge - Carex torreyi
Short-rhizomatous. Stems erect, 15–50 cm, tufted. Leaves basal and cauline, pubescent; blades 1–3 cm wide, pubescent. Inflorescence of 3 to 7 overlapping, short-pedunculate spikes; the lowest bract shorter or longer than the inflorescence. Spikes ascending; the uppermost male, 3–10 mm long; lower female, ovoid, 6–12 mm long. Perigynia ascending to spreading, green, obovoid, glabrous, veiny, ca. 3 mm long with a beak <0.5 mm long. Female scales ovate, short-awned, tan with hyaline margins, shorter than the perigynia. Achene 3-sided, filling the perigynium (Lesica 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX)
Mature fruit in June and July. In early July, most plants are in late fruit stage, with many fruits having already dispersed.
AB to MB south to CO, SD and WI (Lesica 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX).
Observations in Montana Natural Heritage Program Database
Number of Observations:
(Click on the following maps and charts to see full sized version)
Map Help and Descriptions
(Observations spanning multiple months or years are excluded from time charts)
Moist meadows and woodlands on the plains.
- Additional ReferencesLegend: View Online Publication
Do you know of a citation we're missing?
- Heidel, B.L. and H. Marriott. 1996. Sensitive plant species survey of the Ashland District, Custer National Forest, Powder River and Rosebud Counties, Montana. Unpublished report to the U.S. Forest Service. Montana Natural Heritage Program, Helena, Montana. 94 pp. plus appendices.
- Heidel, B.L. and K.H. Dueholm. 1995. Sensitive plant survey in the Sioux District, Custer National Forest, 1994, Carter County, Montana and Harding County, South Dakota. Unpublished report to the Custer National Forest. Montana Natural Heritage Program, Helena, Montana. 95 pp. plus appendices.
- Lesica, P. 1994. Vegetation and ecological condition of the south Wolf Mountains, Padlock Ranch, Big Horn County, Montana. Unpublished report for The Nature Conservancy, Montana Field Office, Helena. 12 pp.
- Lesica, P., M. T. Lavin, and P. F. Stickney. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. Fort Worth, TX: BRIT Press. viii + 771 p.