Linear-leaved Whitestem Goldenbush - Ericameria discoidea var. linearis
Haplopappus macronema var. linearis, Ericameria linearis
* (see State Rank Reason below)
MNPS Threat Rank
State Rank Reason (see State Rank above)
This is the commoner of the two varieties of Haplopappus macronema that occur in Montana. It is reported (Lesica, 2003 communication) to be quite common throughout southwest Montana.
- Details on Status Ranking and Review
Linear-leaved Whitestem Goldenbush (Ericameria discoidea var. linearis) Conservation Status Review
Review Date =
Stems ascending to erect, 10–40 cm; twigs white-tomentose. Leaves linear, 1–4 cm long, stipitate-glandular, sometimes tomentose, twisted; axillary fascicles sometimes present. Inflorescence cymiform or racemose with 1 to several heads. Involucres obconic, 9–15 mm high; phyllaries subequal, lanceolate, glandular, inner white, outer green. Rays absent. Disk flowers 10–22; corolla 6–10 mm long. Achenes oblong, 5–6 mm long, pubescent. Sagebrush steppe, grasslands, often along roads; montane, rarely lower (Lesica 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX)
Flowering in July and August.
Endemic to northwest WY and southwest MT (Lesica 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX).
Openings in sagebrush-grasslands in the foothills and montane zones.
- Additional ReferencesLegend: View WorldCat Record View Online Publication
Do you know of a citation we're missing?
- Fertig, W. 1996. Status report on HAPLOPAPPUS MACRONEMA VAR. LINEARIS. Unpublished report to the Bridger-Teton National Forest. Wyoming Natural Diversity Database. 76 pp.
- Hall, H. M. 1928. The genus HAPLOPAPPUS, a phylogenetic study in the compositae. Carnegie Institution of Washington Publication No. 389, Washington D.C. 391 pp.
- Lesica, P. 2012. Manual of Montana Vascular Plants. BRIT Press. Fort Worth, TX.
- Lesica, P. 1992. Vascular plant and sensitive plant species inventory for the Highland Mountains, Deerlodge National Forest. Unpublished report prepared for the Deerlodge National Forest. Montana Natural Heritage Program, Helena, MT. 21 pp. plus appendices, photographs.
- Vanderhorst, J. P. and P. Lesica. 1994. Sensitive plant survey in the Tendoy Mountains, Beaverhead County, Montana. Unpublished report to the Bureau of Land Management, Butte District. Montana Natural Heritage Program, Helena, MT. 59 pp. plus appendices.
- Winkler, G. and C. L. Wambolt. 1991. Range extension, description, and habitat for HAPLOPAPPUS MACRONEMA SSP. LINEARIS (Asteraceae). Prairie Naturalist 23(2):101-106.